When Do Residents Need a Solid Waste Permit?

Tompkins County Recycling and Materials Management would like to clarify when users must have a residential solid waste permit for the Recycling and Solid Waste Center. Follow this simple rule:

If you are dropping off a material that has an associated fee, you must have a permit.

Materials that have an associated fee, and therefore require the user to have a permit, include:
• Trash
• Televisions and monitors
• Freon units
• Tires
• Yard waste

Permits are not required for materials that do not have an associated fee. These include:
• Recycling (a.k.a. Single-Stream recycling, curbside recycling)
• Electronics (except televisions and monitors)
• Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG)
• Fluorescent bulbs and tubes
• Food scraps
• Scrap metal
• Plastics bags and film
• Large rigid plastics
• Propane tanks
• Textiles

Household Hazardous Waste events require the user to have a permit and make an appointment, but do not require the user to pay a fee.

Permits can be obtained at the Tompkins County Department of Recycling and Materials Management office or through the mail. Current vehicle registration or proof of residency in Tompkins County is required. Residential vehicle permits are $20.

For more information, visit recycletompkins.org/fees

Tompkins Recycling and Materials Management
(607) 273-6632