In Snow, Keep Recycling Bins Accessible for Collectors
For Immediate Release: February 11th, 2021
Recycling collection has been made difficult in recent days due to the buildup of snow on roads and sidewalks in the more densely-settled areas of Tompkins County. Residents are reminded that they have a role to play in keeping their recycling bins accessible for collectors.
Please remember to:
- Ensure containers are placed in an accessible location at the curb or roadside so that drivers can get to them from the street. Do not place bins on sidewalks or in bike lanes.
- Never place bins on top of large snow banks.
- Make sure recycling bins are clear of snow so they are visible to drivers.
- Avoid parking vehicles on both sides of narrow streets so that recycling trucks can safely access them.
- Secure materials to protect them from windy conditions, and place bins on a level and hard surface if possible.
Taking these steps helps to ensure that all recycling bins are collected and prevents delays. Residents also have the choice of bringing recyclables to the Recycling and Solid Waste Center at 160 Commercial Avenue in Ithaca. The hours are Monday thru Saturday from 7am to 3:30pm. There is no charge to drop off recyclables at the RSWC.
Tompkins County Recycling and Materials Management